At Port Sorell Nippers our objective is to provide a safe and fun environment for children aged 5 to 13 years to enjoy the surf safely.
Nippers is a fun way for children aged 5 to Under 14 to enjoy the beach in a safe environment. The Junior Development Program is designed to ensure children have fun at the beach while participating in lessons that will give them a pathway to becoming a fully rounded participant in both lifesaving and sport.
Aims of the Nipper Program
The aims of the Nipper program are:
- To provide a safe and fun environment for the children to learn about the beach, its unique qualities and surf activities;
- To teach the children aged 5 to 13 years to enjoy the surf safely;
- To provide the opportunity for children to improve their surf and beach skills;
- To train the children for a series of awards under the auspices of the SLSA of Australia’s Board of Junior Development, which covers:
- Surf Awareness
- Surf Skills
- First Air
The week to week activities of each age group are lead by one or more age managers. The primary role of age managers is to educate our junior members about the surf and surf live saving in a friendly, fun and safe environment.
For those nippers interested, the program also introduces the competitive side of Surf Life Saving, allowing nippers to use their natural skills in competition at a series of carnivals held throughout the season and to promote fellowship, fair play and enjoyment while learning very valuable lifelong water and surf skills.
Under 6 and Under 7 Nippers
The key focus for 5 and 6 years olds is on play, participation and fun.
The guidelines to support this include;
- beach activities that emphasise games and group activities
- water activities to be limited to shallow water near the water’s edge
- no competition for these age groups other than that involved in fun games